Friday, February 10, 2017

30 Day Song Challenge in One Day

I just wanna be distracted right now. I found this challenge on Pinterest so I'm gonna do it all in one day. Post your answers in the comments if you want to, I'd love to see other people's answers!

1. Your Favorite Song: I have a lot of favorite songs, but if I had to pick my top favorite at this moment, "Naughty" from Matilda.
2. You Least Favorite Song: I've never really had one least favorite song, but the first one that pops into my head that I hate is "Blurred Lines" because it basically says that it's okay to rape people.
3. A Song that Makes You Happy: I'd have to say "Naughty" from Matilda again. A lot of songs make me happy, but in the past three years, that one has done the best job of it.
4. A Song that Makes You Sad: "San Francisco" by Vanessa Carlton - the song itself isn't sad, but I have really deep associations of it during the loneliest time at college, so it always makes me cringe.
5. A Song that Reminds You of Someone: "You're Where I Belong" By Trisha Yearwood (end credits of Stuart Little). This song reminds me of a teacher whom I had a huge crush on. I made her a mix tape (yes, an actual tape, this was 2003) with this song on it.
6. A Song that Reminds You of Somewhere: "White Houses" by Vanessa Carlton - reminds me the beach where we went on beach week - the song is literally my beach week story, word for word. It's scary how accurate it is.
7. A Song that Reminds You of a Certain Event: The last question sort of covers this as well, but another song is "The One" by the Backstreet Boys reminds me of my first play, Oz, in 6th grade. That was one of my happiest memories, and I listened to this song (and the whole Backstreet Boys CD) a lot during that time, so it take me back there instantly.
8. A Song that You Know All the Words to: I can't pick just one for this - I know all the words to almost every song that I actually listen to. I guess I'll say, "I Dreamed a Dream" from Les Miserables because I've performed it multiple times.
9. A Song that You Can Dance to: "Time" by Chantal Kreviazuk. This isn't a dance party song, it's the type of dance that I'd like to choreograph a jazz-lyrical style dance for. This song was always a choreographing possibility back when I was doing that, but I ran out of semesters and didn't get to do this one. I have a cool dance mapped out where have of the dancers are people and the other half are time itself, and the ones who are time are dancing much faster and keep pushing the people and spinning them around. I have a perfect vision of the dance, but I didn't choose it to choreograph at college because it's really important to have an even number of dancers so that everyone has a partner, and people tended to quit in the middle of the semester a lot.
10. A Song that Makes you Fall Asleep: Most songs in general don't make me fall asleep (only silence works), but the one exception is "Fields of Gold" by Eva Cassidy. I used this song a lot to fall asleep in my first year of college. I don't know if it would still have that effect.
11. A Song from your Favorite Band - I don't really have a favorite band, I tend to have favorite singers. I'll go with "Because of You" by Kelly Clarkson. I love the fact that it's all about the other person hurting you, no personal responsibility or anything.
12. A Song from a Band you Hate: "Sorry" by Justin Bieber. They play that song all the time at the trampoline park and it's pretty annoying.
13.  A Song that is a Guilty Pleasure: I don't have guilty pleasures because I don't feel guilty about doing anything that gives me pleasure. But I actually do have an answer in this case (I have never had a "guilty pleasure" feeling about a song before - this is the first time ever). "Firework" by Katy Perry. I actually love the song. It makes me feel really good inside. But I hate how it perpetuates the idea that everyone can just pull themselves up by the bootstraps and be a freaking firework while saying nothing about the people and systems that prevent a lot of people from doing that. The thing is, I don't have "guilty pleasures," I don't feel guilty liking the song, just kinda weird. I listen to a lot of music that I don't fully agree with and it doesn't bother me, but I think the reason "Firework" feels weird is that I actually thought about that song a lot as I was writing the validation book. One of the really powerful sections towards the end of the book, I got a lot of inspiration from analyzing what's wrong with "Firework." I even referred to the song in my earliest draft, but decided against the culture reference that everyone won't know. So that's why it feels a little weird when I listen to the song - because it makes me feel good even though I wrote a whole section of my book about why it's wrong.
14. A Song that No One Would Expect You to Love: This one's hard because I don't really know what other people normally assume about my music tastes. I'll say "Let it Go" from Frozen because if you just hear the song without any context, it sounds like it's telling someone to let it go as in don't get upset about something, which is the opposite of what I like, but within the context, it's actually about letting your feelings and power and whatever is locked up inside go, totally encouraging 100-page blog posts and stuff like that.
15. A Song that Describes You: I could use the blog title song, but I'm gonna use that one later, so I'll say "2 AM" by Anna Nalick, just the last verse where she sings about writing the song.
16. A Song that You Used to Love but Now Hate: Offhand, I can't think of any song I used to love but now I hate, so I'm gonna to just use a song that I used to like and now I don't like, "Wake Me up When September Ends" by Green Day. It's not that I hate it now, it's just that when I first heard the song, I didn't know that it was about anything specific. It seemed very general, like the kind of song that anyone can apply to their own situation, big or small. I first heard it at the start of my last year of high school, when I was feeling bogged down with school and college apps and I felt empty inside because there wasn't enough time to spend with my friends and I could see that time running out - and I liked the song because I thought I could relate to it. But ever since I saw the music video, I haven't like the song as much anymore. I mean, there's nothing wrong with having a song specifically about someone who joins the military, but once I saw that it was meant to be about something very specific that was way more serious that what I was thinking of when I heard it, I could just never go back to listening to it in the same way.
17. A Song that You Often Hear on the Radio: I don't really listen to the radio except around Christmas time, so I'll say, "It's Beginning to Look a lot like Christmas."
18. A Song that You Wish You Heard on the Radio: "Someday at Christmas" by Stevie Wonder. One of my favorite Christmas songs but it rarely plays on the radio at Christmas.
19. A Song from Your Favorite Album: Matilda is my favorite CD at the moment, so "When I Grow Up."
20. A Song that You Listen to When You're Angry: "Wake Me Up Inside" by Evanescence.
21. A Song that You Listen to When You're Happy: Right now, "You'll Be in my Heart" from Tarzan. I have lots of good associations with it.
22. A Song that You Listen to When You're Sad: "State of Mind" by Merril Bainbridge.
23. A Song that You Want to Play at Your Wedding: This really depends on my specific relationship with the other person. Right now, the song that comes to mind is "Bless the Broken Road" by Rascal Flatts, this was what I always pictured singing to my old boyfriend if we got married, but it would really depend on my relationship with the new person.
24. A Song that You Want to Play at Your Funeral: "Make Your Own Kind of Music."
25. A Song that Makes you Laugh: "Mamma Says" from Footloose.
26. A Song that You Can Play on an Instrument: Right now I only know "Mary Had a Little Lamb" and "Ode to Joy" on the piano.
27. A Song You Wish You Could Play: I'm planning to learn guitar, and one of the first songs I'd like to learn to play is "Fast Car" by Tracy Chapman.
28. A Song that Makes You Feel Guilty: My college's alma mater. I don't know why guilt specifically, but it brings up a gazillion different bad feelings and one of them is guilt.
29. A Song from Your Childhood: "Little Things" by Joe Raposo, Sesame Street.
30. Your Favorite Song at this Time Last Year: Same as my first answer. I think "Naughty" has been my favorite song since I discovered it in 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment