Sunday, February 12, 2017

30 Day Book Challenge in One Day

1. Best Book You Read Last Year: Small Great Things.
2. A Book You've Read more than 3 Times: A Wrinkle in Time.
3. Your Favorite Series: Harry Potter.
4. Favorite Book of Your Favorite Series: Order of the Phoenix.
5. A Book that Makes You Happy: Any Harry Potter Book.
6. A Book that Makes You Sad: Nineteen Minutes.
7. A Book that Makes You Laugh: Harry Potter (lots of books have made me laugh, but I've reread Harry Potter the most so it always comes to mind.
8. Most Overrated Book: The Great Gatsby. We had to read it in school, booooorrrring!
9. A Book You Thought You Wouldn't Like but Ended Up Loving: Running out of Time. It was an assigned summer reading book so I wasn't expecting it to be good but I loved it.
10. A Book that Reminds You of Home: Any of the Babysitter's Little Sister books. My mom used to read them to me when I was little.
11. A Book You Hated: The Scarlet Letter.
12. A Book You Love but Hate at the Same Time: House Rules. I love the story itself, it's a cool mystery, but it's not a good representation of people who have Asperger's, which is what it was trying to be, so I don't like it for that reason.
13. Your favorite writer: J. K. Rowling!!!
14. A Book turned Movie and Completely Desecrated: My Sister's Keeper. It's not that the whole movie was bad, but the ending of the movie was completely different. The book had this brilliant, perfectly poetic ending, and the movie totally ruined that. Also, The Cat in the Hat movie I thought was desecrated. It felt like Mike Myers was just doing his own stand up comedy routine and not even acting like The Cat in the Hat. I felt the same way about Jim Carrey as The Grinch. I like the simplicity of the original Dr. Seuss books, and I'm thinking that maybe they just weren't all meant to be full-length movies that require the screenwriters to add so many things.
15. Your Favorite Male Character: Harry Potter
16. Your Favorite Female Character: Matilda, Harriet the Spy, and Karen Brewer.
17. Favorite Quote from Your Favorite Book: "Of course it is all happening inside your head, harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"
18. A Book that Disappointed You: Fifty Shade of Grey. I wasn't expecting it to be amazing or anything, and I didn't even expect it to be wonderful about consent - but I expected Ana to at least express some sort of interest in what they were doing. I mean, I imagined that it might be coercive in the beginning, but my expectation was that Ana would discover that she was deeply into it. But she never expresses enjoyment and her character is so undeveloped, I feel like I'm reading about a blank piece of paper (like Bella from Twilight), and Christian keeps throwing the word "consent" around while not practicing it at all, kind of like tossing a soccer ball around with your hands and saying that you are playing soccer - people who don't understand soccer will think that soccer is played that way, people who don't understand about consent will think that consent works this way. And of course a super-contrived backstory about why Christian is so troubled because of course no one could ever just be *interested* in what the book is about, oh no, you have to either be doing it because you have issues or be coerced into it.
19. Favorite Book turned into a Movie: Matilda. This is one of the few movies where I actually like the extra stuff they added that wasn't in the book.
20. Favorite Romance Book: I don't really have one, I haven't liked most of the romance books I've read.
21. The First Novel you remember reading: It might have been a Ramona Book, either Ramona the Pest, or Ramona Quimby, age 8.
22. A Book that Makes You Cry: Nineteen Minutes
23. A Book You Wanted to Read for a Long Time and Still Haven't: Les Miserables.
24. A Book that You Wish More People Would Have Read: Blink
25. A Character Who You Can Relate to the Most: Harriet the Spy.
26. A Book that Changed Your Opinion about Something: Outliers.
27. The Most Surprising Plot Twist or Ending: The ending of Half-Blood Prince - I won't give the details just in case.
28. Favorite Title of a Book: Handle with Care. I love the double meaning - the book is about a girl who has OI and literally needs to handled with care, we think that's what the title is referring to, but by the end, you realize it means so much more than that, because everything should be handled with care.
29. A Book that Everyone Hated but You Liked: I can't think of anything that other people really hated, but a lot of books that I love, other people have outgrown - Babysitter's Club, Judy Blume books, the Ramona series, Amelia's Notebooks.
30. Your Favorite Book of all Time: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.



No comments:

Post a Comment