Friday, November 25, 2016

The Hypocrisy I've Always Faced

Me: I am deeply affected by this thing that happened that has hurt me directly. I'm not okay now, I don't feel happy, I feel horrible. I'm going to spend every moment of my time speaking out about this bad thing that has happened to me and I'm going to do major things about it.

Other people: Don't sweat the small stuff! You need to learn how to not let these things hurt you so much! You should just let it go and get on with your life and choose to be happy!

Later...

Me: I am not deeply affected by this thing that is not disrupting my life directly. I'm going to focus on my own life and do things that make me feel happy.

Other people: No! You have to be deeply affected by this and do something about it! How dare you live in your own personal bubble and do happy things and not say or do anything about this issue!

*********************************************************************************

Me: I am no longer going to be friends with people whose behavior is hurting me directly, regardless of how long we have known each other.

Other people: You shouldn't drop friends just like that! Give them a chance. They have good intentions. You've known each other for so long and now you're just going to throw the friendship away over a difference of opinion? It's good to be friends with people who push your boundaries and offer different opinions. You shouldn't surround yourself only with people who think like you.

Later...

Me: I do not want to stop being friends with someone because we have different beliefs on certain issues. I wish they didn't think that way, and I would not make new friends with anyone who thinks that way, but we have already been friends for a long time, I still love them, and I am just not willing to throw the friendship away over this.

Other people: It doesn't matter how long you've known them. You have to stop being friends with anyone who thinks that way and only be friends with people who think like you.

No comments:

Post a Comment