Saturday, April 9, 2016

Introvert Test

I finished reading Susan Cain's book, Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that Can't Stop Talking.  Amazing! A lot of stuff I already knew, but I also learned about even more ways that the US is extrovert-centric, with things that I didn't even stop and think were associated with introversion and extroversion. I'm going to write more about the book later. For now, this is the quiz that is used in the book to determine if you're an introvert or extrovert:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/quiet-the-power-introverts/201103/quiz-are-you-introvert-or-extrovert-and-why-it-matters

I don't want to copy and paste the list to my blog since I didn't write it, but here are my answers:

1. Yes (Depends on what the group activity is, but yes in general).
2. Yes.
3. Yes.
4. 1/2 Yes, 1/2 No. I definitely care less about status than most of my peers do, in terms of social status and moving up in a company. I would say I care more about fame than my peers do - there are certain niches where my peers also cared about fame, like in drama club, but most peer groups, I'm one of the only ones who dreams of being famous. As for money, I'd say it's a halfway split between which peers we're talking about. I'm not a fast-track or rat-race person - I'm not super motivated to work hard and work long hours and rise up to the top of a company like many of my peers are, but I also am more concerned with financial stability than many of my peers are, which is why I chose to get a stable day job at an office instead of being a freelance writer on commission, which some of my peers are doing. It really just depends which peer group I'm with. So half and half for this one.
5. Yes.
6. Yes.
7. Yes.
8. Yes.
9. No.
10. No.
11. Yes. I was questioning this one because I have discussed my book with people before it was done, but I realize the only reason I've done that is because I knew that my book would take more than a year to complete, and that's way too much time for me to go not talking about something important. If I'm working on a piece that I will finish in a few weeks, or even a few months, I much prefer not to discuss it with anyone until I'm done. Even with my book, I've only discussed it with select people until I was very close to the end. Throughout my life, I never wanted anyone looking at my work in school until it was finished, even work that I didn't care about. So I'd say that this is true about me. It's just that when it comes to projects that take a really long time, my desire for the short-term gratification of talking to someone outweighs my desire to keep it private until I'm done.
12.Yes. (But this doesn't mean I'll go along with things I'm not okay with for the purpose of avoiding conflict. At least, I don't want it to. I want to stand up for myself a lot more than I currently am).
13. Yes.
14. No.
15. Yes.
16. 1/2 Yes, 1/2 No. When a friend or family member calls me on my cell phone nowadays, I pretty much always answer unless I can't, because I always want to talk to the people I'm close with. However, I do let calls go to voicemail and call back at work because I hate being interrupted to have to deal with people. Right now I have a very small group of friends who call me, so I don't get as many phone calls now as I used to when I was in school. But back when I got a lot more phone calls, I did let a lot of them go to voicemail.
17. Yes. This is true now because I'm feeling well. Sometimes I feel the opposite when I'm really lonely, but my normal answer to this question is yes. Also, too much stimulation is still a major problem even if I'm lonely and want to be with my friends, whereas a weekend with nothing to do is only a major problem if I'm lonely, otherwise it's generally okay.
18. Yes.
19. No.
20.Yes.

So this comes to 15 out of 20, 75%. Surprisingly the same as my latest Myers-Briggs test, which says I'm 74% introverted. The Big Five test usually says I'm 40-50% introverted, so it really depends how you're measuring.

Anyway, I wanna work on my own book, but more on Quiet later, and on how it gave me some great ideas for my book!

No comments:

Post a Comment