Thursday, January 28, 2016

REAL Support

[Content: Suicidal thoughts]

A couple months ago, I stumbled upon a Facebook support group page for people who are having or have had suicidal thoughts. (I wish I could link to the page, but it was a long time ago and the things I'll have to filter through in order to find it again will make me feel really bad). I was feeling fine at the time - this page just popped up in my newsfeed somehow, so I automatically clicked it open. This was a group that truly, sincerely, had the intention of helping and supporting people...

But I could honestly say that 85% of the "positive" posts on the page made me feel worse. And that's only the main posts. Once I got into the "positive" comments, it was more like 99.5% of the posts made me feel worse.

And I read this page when I wasn't feeling bad to begin with. If I had read this page during a really bad time, if I had actually gone to the page to get help, I would have felt exponentially worse.

I don't want to eliminate all pages like this because I think that some people to do benefit from them, and I wouldn't want to take away resources that help people. But we need alternative resources. We need resources for people like me who just aren't into all this positivity. Something NEEDS to be done.

And that's what my book is all about. I want to put that kind of support in the world that I was never able to find.

No comments:

Post a Comment