Saturday, October 24, 2015

I Wasn't 100 Percent Focused on my Book, and I'm Glad

When I finished my first novel several years ago, there was a huge letdown at the end. I felt exhausted, like I just wanted to move on and not deal with that story anymore because it was all I had thought about for a year and a half. This time I don't feel that way at all. This time, I'm actually thrilled at the prospect of getting feedback, doing more edits, and eventually looking for a publisher. I'm ready to celebrate, and I'm ready for the next step.

Most of this is just because I'm very satisfied with the book, in a way that I was not satisfied with my first novel. But another part stems from the fact that in the past 14 months, I didn't force myself to focus exclusively on the validation book. With my first novel, I felt like I had to focus on one project exclusively because that was the only way I'd finish, but this time around, I didn't force it. I continued blogging and I have more blog posts this year than any other year - I'm up to 178 for this year so far, when my previous record for one year was 92 posts. That's pretty much doubled! I wrote some very good blog posts this year. I wrote the unschooling post, which I consider a major project and my second most important blog post after The Unencrypted Truth. I also made a lot of progress on my personality quiz book and wrote some of the best quizzes in the book this year. I never forced myself to focus on the validation book when my heart was pulling me in another direction.

When it comes to personal projects, I'm both a multi-tasker and a single-tasker. I like to have a lot of different projects going on at once, but I also like to focus on just one project for a period of time. So, for example, if I'm working on the validation book, the quiz book, and my blog, I will have periods of time when I'm just focused exclusively on each project and ignoring the others, rather than trying to do a little bit of each every day or even every week or month.

And I think that's why I don't feel sick of the validation book after 14 months - because I never forced myself to focus only on the book, so when I did get tired of it, I took a break from it. Now I'm not drained or tired from it at all and I'm still just as passionate as I was at the beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment