Tuesday, September 1, 2015

"No Day But Today"

Back in summer 2006, when I started keeping an online journal, I chose the title, "No Day But Today" because I didn't want to feel pressured to write about positive stuff. Yes, I know that sounds counter-intuitive, but here's what inspired me: I had gotten my heart broken at the start of the summer, which was what got me interested in writing the online journal in the first place. While I maintained an interest in doing lots of fun things with my friends, the heartbreak affected me for the entire summer, and was always in the back of my mind. I never accepted it and moved on because that's not the kind of person I am. It was a long time after that summer when I didn't feel upset at all about what happened.

So I was at my friend's party, which was a ton of fun. In a quiet moment, we starting talking about our online journals, and I told my friend that I had something depressing that I was planning to write about when I got home. My friend was like, how can you be thinking about something depressing when we just had this awesome party? And THAT was how I decided to call my journal "No Day But Today." It was not about living in the moment or only thinking about right now - it was about thinking, feeling, and writing in the moment about whatever I was thinking, feeling, and wanting to write about at a given moment. No Day But Today meant that if right now, at this exact moment, I happened to be thinking about my heartbreak that happened a month ago, I would write about that, regardless of the fact that I could instead write about the awesome party I just got home from.

I saw that other people's online journals were very much in the moment, about real-life events, and I knew that mine would be way more about things that happened in the past and, at that point in my life, things I was worried about for the future. No Day But Today meant that I would write whatever I wanted to write about at any given moment, and no one was allowed to judge me by the fact that I was feeling great in one post and miserable in the next post, or that I was writing something depressing just after a positive event took place (I could also write something positive after a negative event took place, but no one would complain about that).

So yeah. No Day But Today meant writing stuff that happened 5, 10, or even 20 years ago if that was what I felt like writing today. I never meant to assign myself any kind of responsibility to do anything. It was all about doing what I felt like doing at a given moment, rather than needing to do specific kinds of things. It was about writing in the moment, not living in the moment. That was what it always meant to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment