Thursday, July 30, 2015

Sleeping Barbie

When I was around 6, I got a special Barbie doll for Christmas that was soft so that you could sleep with her. She had special eyes that would close if you poured warm water on them and open when you applied cold water. Her eyes were open to start, and my mom and I went to the sink and poured warm water on her eyes, but nothing happened. My mom was annoyed that it didn't work and wanted to keep trying, but I said that was okay, I just wanted to play with the doll and didn't care if her eyes worked or not. I had no patience for toys that involved grownups having to help.

I went to sleep with the doll, and when I woke up the next morning, her eyes were closed! I figured out how it worked! It wasn't about water, she just needed to be warm for her eyes to close. The warm water on her head wasn't enough warmth, but being close to my body under the covers all night worked. When I got home from school that day, her eyes were open again. I was soooooooo thrilled to have discovered how she worked on my own without any grownups involved! I tried holding her head tightly for short bits of time to see if that would make her eyes close. I tried leaving her under the covers in bed all day after I got up to see if she would stay warm enough that her eyes would stay closed. I even tried putting her in the freezer when my parents weren't looking, just to see what would happen.

I still remember that amazing moment of discovering how her eyes worked and how much fun it was to play with her eyes. All I can say is, I'm so glad that the hot water didn't work the way it was supposed to. If it had, I might have lost the opportunity to have fun with her on my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment