Saturday, April 11, 2015

Unschooling Results

I didn't get the response I was hoping for on my unschooling post. I got a lot of new hits from linking it on twitter, which is awesome (and I am so glad I discovered this advertising feature of twitter - I'm going to use it again very soon), but I never actually heard from anyone about it, even people who were initially interested in what I was doing. I've only gotten to discuss the post with one friend who helped me edit, and that's it. I don't have any way of knowing if people clicked on my resource links. This is the biggest, most important blog post I have written since The Unencrypted Truth. I don't mean to compete with The Unencrypted Truth - that post will always be special and will always be one of my best posts. I just really thought I could get the same level of response again. The unschooling post was much shorter (it's about 40 pages without the graphs, and The Unencrypted Truth was about 100 pages), and I thought the visual aid of the graphs would help lure people in, but I just did not get much of a response.

I think this is partially because I don't have shock value anymore. The Unencrypted Truth was really my first time telling most of my friends about what went on in college, so there was a huge amount of shock value in that post that I just can't recreate in a new post. I also wrote The Unencrypted Truth back when I was not sharing as much on Facebook or on my blog, so it really stood out from everything else.

A friend also pointed out me that most people react more strongly to stories than to graphs. The Unencrypted Truth was a story about something that happened to me, but the unschooling post was written more like a study, which just isn't going to generate the same emotional response in readers. I had thought that the graphs would be shocking (I mean, how does someone go from zero to 92 in self-efficacy?), but I guess it would never have the emotional response that a regular story would have, so I can understand that.

But the thing that's really bothering me is that I'm afraid no one believes me. Like, I don't know if people believe that I actually have the self-knowledge to do the study that I did honestly, even though I explained why I have that knowledge. I wish I had some way to prove the validity of that study, but I can't come up with anything. The only thing I can think of is having a friend witness me taking the quiz twice in order to prove that I actually did it and didn't just make up the numbers, but I don't think that's the issue. The issue is, how can I prove that I can make very educated, close-to-accurate guesses when I answer the questions in the unschooling condition? I don't know how to prove that I can actually do that, and I have a feeling that people don't believe that I can really do it.  I have a feeling I didn't get a strong reaction because it just seems too far-fetched or just not solid or true enough because it's all hypothetical. *Sigh*

I'm in the process of writing a supplement to the unschooling post using the Multiple Intelligence Test. I'm not done writing up the results yet, but what I found was that intrapersonal intelligence, which is self-awareness, was my highest intelligence in both conditions, and it's the only form of intelligence that remained extremely high in the current condition. It's a funny thing - lots of people wish that they knew what they wanted out of life. A lot of people are jealous of people like me who do know exactly what they want. But even with so many people wishing to have intrapersonal intelligence, there is just not much respect for those of us who already have it. Particularly children who have self-awareness. See, when I was kid, I was able to accurately predict how I would feel about things when I was older. Adults told me that I'd later thank them for pushing me into things I didn't want to do, and I KNEW that I would not feel that way when I was an adult. I KNEW that I would look back and be happy about things that made me happy at the time and that it would NOT be okay that I was forced to do things I didn't want to do at the time. I also knew from a very young age that I did not want to go away to college, and the reasons that I did not want to go ended up being true! At 6 years old, I may not have understand all of the details of why college was a bad idea, but I knew the basic reasons that I did not ever want to go, and they ended up being true. I have always had this kind of self knowledge, and no adult has ever respected it. When you're good at something like math or sports or music, everyone can see that you have that talent. But when you're good at knowing yourself and your desires and how you will feel about things later on in life, it's all internal. There's no way to prove that you have that talent until you're older. And even when you get older and can say, "See, I was right!" you STILL have no one believe you when you talk about your future.

Even though I'm out of the education system, I feel like I'm still trapped in this world where everyone thinks they know me better than I know myself!  A world where no one will believe that I could possibly know what I would have been like in another circumstance even though I explained why I know. Just because YOU can't guess at what you would have been like if you had been radically unschooled doesn't mean that I can't! Would you tell an athlete that they can't possibly run that fast because you can't imagine yourself running so fast? Would you tell a musician that they can't possibly play such a difficult piece of music because you can't imagine yourself ever learning how to play it? I do have this knowledge and just because it's not measured on a standardized test does not mean that it's not a skill!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment