Thursday, April 16, 2015

Profile Picture

I could post a nice picture of myself here, smiling from the top of a mountain or the middle of a big party. I could get 100 likes if I wanted to. But I don't want to. I don't want social approval for doing positive things. I don't want people to latch onto that smiling girl and think they can be friends with her and only her, while disregarding all of the not-so-desirable things. I act how I feel, and how I feel is entirely dependent on my situation. I do not want praise for being happy. I am happy due to external circumstances. If you praise me for being happy, I cannot trust you because I know that you will also look down on me for not being happy when my circumstances change. I will only share happy things with you if I can trust you to accept that they are circumstantial, to not give me approval for feeling good, and to give me the same validation when I'm not feeling happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment