Sunday, April 26, 2015

I'm 8 Years Old and I'm Running the Show Here!

I hate milk. More than milk, I hate the Got Milk? people who force milk down the throats of innocent little kids who don't want it. I was forced to drink milk twice a day until I got to be 15. I forgive my mom for doing that - when I talked to her recently, she said that she hated having to force milk on me but there was such a cultural push back then about kids having to drink all this milk or else they'd have bone problems later on that she felt like she didn't have a choice. So I forgive my mom, but I will never forgive whoever started that cultural push about drinking milk. (I'm against Got Milk? PURELY because some kids don't like milk, NOT because of hormones in milk or any new evidence that all that milk isn't really necessary).

I had as much control over milk as I could. I ONLY drank skim milk with strawberry syrup, and I always either poured the syrup myself or let one of my parents do it, but never anyone outside of that. When we stayed with family, we packed strawberry syrup because I would not drink milk without it. And when I took my calcium-enriched vitamin that tasted gross like chalk dust, I had to wash it down with water or juice because I refused to wash down calcium with more calcium. I used to like my vitamins until my parents switched me to the calcium-enriched ones, so I learned from this experience that I did not like the taste of calcium. When I my parents wanted me to try a new food, I would often ask, "This doesn't have any calcium in it, right?" But I did still eat cheese and ice cream because I liked them.

Since I only drank two glasses of milk each day - one in the morning and one at dinner - I felt like I was getting away with something really big. The recommended amount of milk for kids back then was three glasses, and I was only drinking two! They talked a lot in school about drinking three glasses of milk a day, and I was proud to say that I only drank two glasses a day because I would NEVER let my parents force me to drink three. I flat-out refused to drink the milk at school during lunch time because I didn't like the school milk, and I also flat-out refused to have milk at every single meal.

What I've recently discovered, to my disappointment, is that I actually was drinking three glasses of milk. I mean, I was drinking the recommended quantity. When they said a "glass" of milk, it meant one measuring cup of milk, and when I picture the two tall glasses of milk that I drank each day, I think they each contained about a cup and a half of milk. I recently asked my mom about this and she said that yes, I was drinking the recommended amount of milk each day - I just drank it in two sittings instead of three.

I'm a little disappointed that I wasn't getting away with what I thought I was, but when I think about it, I did still have the pleasure of getting away with it at the time. My parents never lied to me and said that I was drinking less than the recommended amount. We actually talked about how high the glass would be filled up. I made a mental note of where that mark was to make sure that I was never drinking more than that. Outside of having to drink that much milk, I pretty much set the all the rules of *how* I would drink it - only skim milk with strawberry syrup mixed by me or my parents, only at breakfast or dinner, and I would only drink it out of a certain type of glass.

Most importantly though, I *told* everyone about these milk rules so they'd know how much control I had, and I told everyone that I only drank two glasses instead of three. Sometimes my aunts, uncles, or cousins would say, "Don't you have to drink three glasses of milk?" and I would reply that you are *supposed* to drink three glasses of milk, but I was only drinking two because I didn't want to drink three and my parents couldn't make me. I said this right in front of my parents and they never corrected me about the quantity that I was consuming. They let me have my glory of telling everyone that I only drank two glasses (I'm sure they knew that I'd stop drinking those two glasses if they messed with my sense of control).

And when I look back on it now, I feel like it doesn't matter how much milk I was actually drinking. It doesn't matter that those two glasses were equivalent to three. I grew up *believing* that I was only drinking two glasses of milk and I got to *feel* like I was in control and tell all my friends that I was in control and would never let my parents force three glasses of milk on me. I can look back and feel like I did control my situation the best that I could.

Things like this make me realize that I was never really a 90's kid. 90's kids obeyed their parents and accepted their place, but kids of today run the show. I'll always be a kid of today.

No comments:

Post a Comment