Monday, February 2, 2015

Conversations at Colby: The Newspaper

Conversation between me and a former friend who wrote for the school newspaper:

Friend: You should write for the school newspaper.
Me: No thanks, I'm not interested.

Sometime later:
Friend: You should write for the school newspaper.
Me: No thanks, I've already said I'm not interested.

Sometime later:
Friend: You should write for the school newspaper.
Me: No thanks, I've already said I'm not interested. I've read the school paper and I am not interested in writing about any of the stuff that goes in there.

(Please imagine this conversation continued at least 20 more times in the course of a year and a half). 

A year and a half later:
Friend: You should write for the school newspaper. I'm recruiting people to do op-ed pieces.
Me: No thanks, I'm not interested. I've read the op-eds and I have absolutely nothing to say that belongs in that paper.

Sometime later:
Me: Hey, I came up with a great idea for an op-ed piece! I'm going to write about how nice it would be if we all just left each other the fuck alone.
Friend: Um...I don't think I'd be comfortable posting that.

No comments:

Post a Comment