Sunday, February 9, 2014

Facebook Issue

In the spirit of starting this year off on the right foot, I'd like to share something that I've been wanting to share for a while but was always afraid to share because I thought people would judge me or pressure me to change.

I don't get Facebook newsfeed. I haven't since 2012. Basically, I don't like it when social interaction is forced on me, and Facebook, being a social network, feels like social interaction to me. If I wanted to just check to see if I had any notifications or wanted to write to a particular friend, I automatically had to hear from everyone else. I never liked that. I wanted it to be my choice to interact with people. I tried limiting the number of people I got newsfeed from to my closest friends, but I still didn't like that. So I stopped getting newsfeed altogether. My home page is blank and I like it that way.

This doesn't mean that I don't read people's walls - I check in with all of my close friends regularly. It just means that when I check on you, I'm looking up your name and going to your profile page, rather than automatically seeing your updates in my newsfeed. I went through about a 6-month phase in 2012 of not reading anyone's walls, not posting anything, and only checking FB for notifications, but right now I am regularly checking in with my close friends. 

This is not a big deal. The reason I wanted to share this is because I want you to understand what I'm seeing on Facebook. Back when I got newsfeed from everyone, I assumed that I knew who had read my status updates based on when they were online. Now that I don't get newsfeed, the fact that I wrote or commented on a post within minutes of when you posted something does not necessarily mean that I saw what you posted. If we are close friends then I will most certainly see your post soon, but it will be when I go to look at your profile. I don't automatically see the post just because I was on Facebook at that time. Think of my being on Facebook as just being online. If I updated my blog around the same time that you sent me an email, it's possible that I will have read the email while I was online, but it's also possible that I didn't check my email. 

This is something I've wanted to say for the longest time just for practical reasons, so no one assumes that I've seen their post and I'm ignoring it when I may not have read it yet. I was always afraid I'd be pressured into accepting newsfeed. It's a relief to finally share this.

Edit: I actually started getting newsfeed again shortly after writing this post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment