Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Big Five Personality Test

A while back, I took a comprehensive version of the Big Five personality test in which each of the big five traits were broken down into 6 smaller facets. I took this test using the MyPersonality app on Facebook, and I haven't found this 336-question version anywhere else. I'm posting these results because my answers to this test have always felt really private, and I don't want it to be private anymore. The test gives you results in percentiles, not raw percents. So if I'm in the 75th percentile, that doesn't mean that I got 75 out of 100 possible points; it means that 75% of other people who have taken the test were lower than me on that trait. Since the test is on Facebook, I can't post a link that people who aren't my Facebook friends could see, so I'm copying and pasting. What I've pasted below is directly from the MyPersonality app - not my own words. My own commentary is in blue.

*********************************************************************************
Openness
This trait refers to the extent to which you prefer novelty versus convention. Approximately 85% of respondents have a lower openness raw percentage than yours. From the way you answered the questions, you seem to describe yourself as someone who is far more intellectually curious and sensitive to beauty than most. You might say that your beliefs are individualistic and frequently drift towards the unconventional, and that you enjoy your imagination and the exciting places it takes you!

Facets:
(O1) Imagination: 99.2nd percentile. This facet includes your imagination and fantasy life. Daydreams are for you a regular occurance. Your mind creates other idealised realities. It can be difficult to bring your thoughts back to what you are meant to be doing.
(O2) Artistic Interests: 54th percentile. This facet includes your interest in art, music and nature. You appreciate beauty as much as others do. It is important to you that things not only have a material value, but also have an aesthetic one. You have a good knowledge of the arts.
(O3) Emotionality: 98th percentile. This facet includes your experience of emotion and feelings. You experience your emotions much more intensely than others. You may be particularly affected by others' feelings, and this strong empathising may even cause you to find it difficult to distinguish their feelings from your own.
(O4) Adventurousness: 11th percentile. This facet includes your openness to new experiences. You prefer more than most to do activities that you have done before and know that you enjoy. You may be resistant to trying new things, such as eating new foods or going to new places. You may describe yourself as a creature of habit.
(O5) Intellect: 34th percentile. This facet includes your openness to new ideas. You tend to lean towards conventional ideas rather than new ones, but you are not dogmatic in your adherence to them. You are more likely to avoid having philosophical arguments and doing brainteasers for their own sake.
(O6) Liberalism: 92nd percentile. This facet includes your openness to values. Your values are more liberal than most. You do not accept authority based on tradition, and are likely to think that society needs to re-examine the basis of its values at a fundamental level.

Conscientiousness
This trait refers to the extent to which you prefer an organised, or a flexible, approach in life. Approximately 5% of respondents have a lower conscientiousness raw percentage than yours. From the way you answered the questions, you seem to describe yourself as someone who is impulsive and whimsical, and fine with it! From your responses it appears that you would say that sometimes decisions need to be made quickly, and that you make them quicker than most! You would say you are zany, colorful, and just generally great fun to be with... as long as someone isn't relying on you to get some work done.
I don't think I have this flip-side of conscientiousness - I am impulsive, but I'm not spontaneous. I like to stick to what I've planned and I don't usually do things that I find out about at the last minute. 

Facets:
(C1) Self-Efficacy: 66th percentile. This facet refers to your ability to 'get things done'. You consider yourself prepared to deal with life's challenges successfully. You excel in what you do, and are also capable of smoothly attempting unfamiliar tasks.
(C2) Orderliness: 16th percentile. This facet includes how far you prefer order over flexibility. You are relatively disorganised. You prefer to take things as they come rather than imposing a structure on your environment. This may just be because it is not important to you. You may be especially good in a crisis when others' plans are breaking down.
(C3) Dutifulness: 88th percentile. This facet includes your reliability. You place a very high value on fulfilling your promises and telling the truth. You always do what you say, and are both dependable and reliable. You are likely to follow even rules that you disagree with.
(C4) Achievement-Striving: 31st percentile. This facet includes your will to go beyond what is sufficient. You are less ambitious than other people, but still work hard at what you do and expect others to do so also. Your life may currently lack a strong sense of purpose and direction.
I am actually very ambitious when it comes to the goals that I care about. It's just that going "above what's expected" implies that the task relates to a school assignment or something in which another person is expecting something of me, which does not apply to any of my personal goals. The goals that I care about don't involve any requirements other than what I want to do, and I can't go "above and beyond" my own expectations because I would just adjust my expectations based on what I'm planning to do.
(C5) Self-Discipline: 11th percentile. This facet includes your motivation to start and complete tasks. Importantly it is distinct from impulsiveness, which measures the impulse to do things that you do not want to do, whereas this facet measures your tendency to not do things that you do want to do.You are less motivated than others and this can sometimes lead to procrastination. You may not finish tasks because you get distracted by new ones. You may say that you have a low boredom threshold.
(C6) Cautiousness: 44th percentile. This facet includes the extent to which you think before acting. You can act spontaneously and quickly when necessary, but you also usually think before acting which makes your decisions less likely to lead to unintended consequences.

Extroversion
This trait refers to the extent to which you enjoy company, and seek excitement and stimulation. Approximately 40% of respondents have a lower extroversion raw percentage than yours. From the way you answered the questions, you seem to describe yourself as someone who prefers low-key social occasions, with a few close friends. You might say that it's not that you are afraid of large parties; they're just not that fun for you.
Okay, I would like to make it clear that introversion is a trait, not the lack of a trait. I do not have low extroversion - I have high introversion. 

Facets:
(E1) Friendliness: 34th percentile. This facet refers to how you get on with others. You feel less comfortable around other people than some do. This may lead you to act formally for longer than others do upon first meeting someone. It may take you a while to warm to new people.
(E2) Gregariousness: 3rd percentile. This facet refers to how much you seek out social situations. You seek quiet and may avoid crowded events, which can tire you out or leave you feeling stressed. You would rather spend time with a few close friends rather than a large gathering.
(E3) Assertiveness: 56th percentile. This facet details your propensity to take charge. You are fairly unlikely to propose yourself as leader in a group, but you may take on the role if others do not step up or if the area is one in which you have particular interest or knowledge. You can be forceful in putting across your views when necessary.
(E4) Activity Level: 11th percentile. This facet describes your life's tempo. You let life evolve at its own leisurely pace. You do not like to rush things or be too busy. This does not mean that you are necessarily lazy, but rather that you take one step at a time.
(E5) Excitement-Seeking: 16th percentile. This facet includes how much excitement you enjoy in your life. You do not enjoy lots of thrills and mindless recklessness. You may find high-excitement situations either too much, in which case you will avoid them, or simply not that exciting, in which case they do not matter to you.
I actually seem to crave excitement just as much as my peers, and sometimes more. This test is defining excitement as wanting to be around a lot of people and be in big crowds and social situations, none of which interest me. I would have come out as excitement-seeking if the test had asked me about stuff that I find exciting, or about excitement in general.
(E6) Cheerfulness: 73rd percentile. This facet includes how often you feel positive emotions. You like to laugh, and laugh often. You usually exude optimism and are fun to be around.
This has nothing to do with being extroverted; it relates to how I feel. Most the questions for this trait were about projecting cheerfulness, and I project whatever I feel - good or bad. Projecting happiness doesn't mean that I'm sociable or good with people - it means that I feel happy. If I feel sad, I project sadness. And for me, feeling happy has nothing to do with behaving in a more extroverted way. Many individual people make me happy, yes, but I only feel happy when I can control when I want to interact with people and when I don't. So I actually express a lot more cheerfulness when I'm able to be my introverted self. (See Neuroticism for more on this topic).

Agreeableness
This trait refers to the way you express your opinions and manage relationships. Approximately 28% of respondents have a lower agreeableness raw percentage than yours. From the way you answered the questions, you seem to describe yourself as someone who people can find difficult to get along with when you first meet, as you can be suspicious of their motives. Your responses suggest that over time though people warm to you, and you to them, although that doesn't stop you telling them "how it is."

Facets:
(A1) Trust: 92nd percentile. This facet refers to your view of others' motives. You consider other people to be well-intentioned and moral. You tend to trust people unless they give you good reason to not do so. Even when someone seems to act selfishly, you may find excuses for their actions.
(A2) Morality: 98.6th percentile. This facet concerns your views on the treatment of others. you consider morality to be extremely important and you act that way in your own life. You would not do selfish things at the expense of others even if the advantage for you would far outweigh the disadvantage to another.
(A3) Altruism: 85th percentile. This facet includes your concern for the positive wellbeing of others. You are far more likely than is typical to make time to help others, even at the expense of your personal material welfare, because you just enjoy doing it even when you get nothing directly in return.
(A4) Co-operation: 42nd percentile. This facet describes how you work with others. You sometimes prefer to avoid a confrontation rather than saying what you think, but if it is important enough then you will speak up no matter what someone else thinks or feels. You enjoy both co-operating and competing with others.
(A5) Modesty: 5th percentile. This facet describes how you project your achievements to others. You do not hesitate to tell others about what you have achieved. You may consider your accomplishments to be worth telling others about, or you may feel that it is important how others see you and that you are your own best advertisement.
(A6) Sympathy: 95th percentile. This facet measures how others' needs affect you. You are easily swayed by emotional appeals for help as you readily sympathise with others in need. You may feel that life is unfair, and you would like to do what you can to improve this.

Neuroticism
This trait refers to the way you cope with, and respond to, life's demands. Approximately 98.6% of respondents have a lower neuroticism raw percentage than yours. From the way you answered the questions, you seem to describe yourself as someone who tends to be more self-conscious than many. Based on your responses, you come across as someone who can find it hard to not get caught up by anxious or stressful situations. You might say that you are in touch with your own feelings.

Facets:
(N1) Anxiety: 97th percentile. This facet measures how prone to worrying you are. You worry more than most others, and can become anxious about things that would not disturb other people. This does not mean that it is clinically relevant, but it may hold you back from attempting things that you would be successful at.
(N2) Anger: 99.5th percentile. This facet describes how intensely you get angry or frustrated. You are more prone than most to being annoyed and sometimes losing your temper in situations that would not bother other people. However, the advantage is that when a situation really bothers you, you make sure that it is known.
(N3) Depression: 58th percentile. This facet represents normal differences in the propensity to feeling negative. You feel down as often as most. This is usually when the situation warrants it but sometimes it can happen for no discernible reason. You usually feel that your life has a positive direction though.
(N4) Self-Consciousness: 69th percentile. This facet measures negative feelings caused by being around others. You feel less confident than most in social situations. Generally this is not likely to intimidate you, but you may avoid saying or doing certain things for fear of drawing embarrassing attention on yourself.
(N5) Immoderation: 92nd percentile. This facet includes your propensity to over-indulge. More often than most you succumb to your desires and cravings. You might perceive that they are too strong to resist. You probably regret your moment of weakness afterwards.
Hmm. This seems to be implying that I want to do things in moderation and hold myself back from my momentary desires, which I don't.
(N6) Vulnerability: 88th percentile. This facet details how you deal with setbacks. You are more likely to feel pressured and stressed out, even in situations that do not bother others. In extreme situations this may make you panic if you can't make up your mind. You prefer leisurely environments.
Okay, so basically all of the questions in this section asked me whether I had stronger reactions to things than most people do: "I feel anxious more often than most," "I get annoyed by things that don't bother most people," etc. which is why I had extremely high scores. However, for the trait of Cheerfulness, the questions were like, "I am usually in good spirits," and "I am often smiling," indicating that feeling good was a default condition, rather than asking if I feel happy more often than most. But if the questions were worded like "I often feel psyched about things that don't excite other people," or, "I often feel so thrilled that it's like I'm free-falling," then I would have had extremely high scores for cheerfulness and excitement-seeking, because I have stronger-than-average emotional reactions to everything, and that includes positive things. 

*********************************************************************************
So my real question is - why does this feel so private, so much like I'm standing naked in front of everyone right now? Why did I feel inferior the first time I took this test and saw how I compared to my friends, when I had thought it would be fun to compare our answers? Why did I need to show the results of this test to my boyfriend before we moved forward?

On the Jung-type test, I've always been very open about my personality type, INFP (Introverted-iNtuitive-Feeling-Perceiving). I've displayed "INFP" publicly. I think the Big Five test is more judgmental. More like, one thing is clearly good and the other is clearly bad, no matter how nicely they try to word the results. On the Jung-type test, you're never lacking one trait - you just possess the opposite trait. It's a spectrum, rather than a bar graph. But anyway, I guess I've just been wanting to be more open lately, and this is something that I've always felt was really private. So here it is.

Again, if you're interested in taking the comprehensive test, it's on the MyPersonality Facebook app. You can also find shorter versions of the Big Five test online that will tell you the main 5 traits. I love personality tests, so if anyone wants to share and compare traits in a fun, nonjudgmental way, just let me know and I'm in.

Oh, and these are my other personality scores. The Jung-type is by far the least judgmental.

Click to view my Personality Profile page

(You can click on the image to take the test yourself, if you're interested.)

No comments:

Post a Comment