Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Decision Making: What You already Have

People are always telling us to be grateful for what we have, but knowing what we have is also an important part of our self-understanding.  Any time you make a life decision, it takes a lot of self-understanding to know which choice you will be happy with. Often, we (myself included) are more focused on what we want to have than what we already have. This creates a skewed understanding of ourselves, in which we are more likely to look for the things that we don't have, rather than looking for the things that we already have and want to make sure we keep.

I loved high school and was happy with my home life. But when I applied to colleges, I was very focused on the few things that I hoped would be different. I ended up being miserable all four years of college because I never took into account all the things I had at home that I wasn't willing to live without.

When you're making a decision that could change your lifestyle, list everything that is important to you - things you're looking for and  things you already have - then figure out what is most important. You might find, like I did, that keeping something you have is more important to you than getting something else you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment