Thursday, August 16, 2012

Blog Picture?

I have been debating for a while about posting a real picture of myself on this blog instead of the icon I've been using, but I keep thinking I'm better off without it.

Reasons I should use a real picture:
  • Most friends I've asked prefer a real photos and bio section of the blog author.  It makes the blog feel more personal or makes the reader feel more like they know who the author is.  I may get more readers by having a real photo.
  • A real photo makes the main page look more interesting. People like pictures, and I don't post any other pictures.
Reason I wasn't using a real picture before:
  • I don't want the reader's opinion of this blog to be impacted by my appearance or anything else they can infer from the photo. These things aren't relevant to what I write about.
  • I don't like the picture not matching the post, like if I'm smiling in the picture but I write about something depressing.
  • I don't like people taking information that I didn't mean to give them.  With words, I feel in control of what I share, but with a picture, I don't know what I'm revealing or what assumptions people are making.
Please let me know what you think.  Do you like to see a real photo of blog authors?  Does it matter to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment