Reasons I should use a real picture:
- Most friends I've asked prefer a real photos and bio section of the blog author. It makes the blog feel more personal or makes the reader feel more like they know who the author is. I may get more readers by having a real photo.
- A real photo makes the main page look more interesting. People like pictures, and I don't post any other pictures.
Reason I wasn't using a real picture before:
- I don't want the reader's opinion of this blog to be impacted by my appearance or anything else they can infer from the photo. These things aren't relevant to what I write about.
- I don't like the picture not matching the post, like if I'm smiling in the picture but I write about something depressing.
- I don't like people taking information that I didn't mean to give them. With words, I feel in control of what I share, but with a picture, I don't know what I'm revealing or what assumptions people are making.
Please let me know what you think. Do you like to see a real photo of blog authors? Does it matter to you?