Monday, September 3, 2012

Writing What You Like

You've probably heard the expression, "It's not what you say, it's how you say it."  This is very true in writing, not just in terms of the way you word something, but in terms of how much thought you put into it. I once told a close friend of mine, who is also a writer, that I wasn't sure if I should use a particular idea for a poem because it might sound silly.  My friend told me that it would only sound silly if I treated it like something silly - if I didn't put a lot of thought and effort into it.  This is advice had made me feel much more confident.  Don't worry about your idea or topic not being good enough.  It's not "better" to get inspiration from one source over another - it's what you do with that inspiration that counts.  If you put a lot of thought into a story or topic, it will show, and that's what makes it good.  It's the thought that counts, more than the idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment