Friday, June 10, 2011

Don't Tell Me I'm Not Alone

As time passes, I often find simpler explanations for things I had trouble getting across before. Let's say my college serves lemonade that almost everybody loves.  There's also a subculture of students who don't like the lemonade because they think it's way too sweet.  So I take a sip of the lemonade and think it's horrible because it's not sweet enough - I would need to add at least ten cups of sugar before I would want to drink it.  And when I tell people about this problem, they tell me that I'm not alone and I should go and bond with the other kids who don't like the lemonade - the kids who would make the lemonade even less sweet if they were in charge.

That's my college experience in a nutshell.  So please don't tell me that I wasn't alone, that there were plenty of other people who didn't like the lemonade.  Would you gravitate towards people who were fighting for less sugar when you were fighting for more?  Then don't tell me that's what I should have done.  I know plenty of people who were unhappy with the way things were, but not a single person who wants their lemonade as sweet as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment