Tuesday, October 12, 2010

What Does Your Bedroom Reveal?

I have always loved seeing people's bedrooms because I feel like I'm peeking into the person's soul.  Last year I read about a study in which participants went into the dorm rooms of students that they didn't know and rated their personalities based only on the room.  For traits that were not centered around social interactions, the ratings were about the same as the ratings that the students' close friends gave them.  This made me realize just how intense it really is to enter someone else's bedroom.  It's normal to bring friends into your bedroom when they come over to your parents' house, but once people own an apartment or house, it becomes more normal to keep guests in the living room or some other visiting area that is separate from their bedroom.  Usually when you're visiting someone in a two-story house, you stay on the first floor, away from the bedrooms.  I do think that when people own the entire house, every part of it expresses them, but I always have a desire to see adults' bedrooms.  I'm always curious how the upstairs is different from the first floor, where they keep their visitors.  When I get my own apartment - even if I own a two-story house someday - I will always invite my friends into my bedroom and hope that they will do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment