Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Are We Really That Bored?

Have you ever noticed how people use being bored as an excuse for doing things? "I was bored" is in the description of funny videos. "I don't want to write my paper" is the title of chain Facebook notes. Or after someone has spent their night watching TV or playing video games or surfing the internet, they'll say that they did it because they were bored.

There is nothing wrong with doing something because you're bored. And I understand doing things in order to procrastinate that you wouldn't normally find entertaining. But my question is: are we really bored? Are we really just procrastinating every time? Or do we just feel like we need some excuse to do things we like that aren't "cool," productive, or socially desirable? It's like we can't just say, "I did this because I wanted to." We have to say, "I did this because I had nothing better to do."

I don't say that I was bored when I was doing something that I liked, because if I enjoyed what I did, then I wasn't bored at all. I don't want to reinforce the idea that we need an excuse for anything that we do. I do what I like, and it's not because I'm bored.

No comments:

Post a Comment